“My hope is that the description of God’s love in my life will give you the freedom and the courage to discover . . . God’s love in yours."
- Henri Nouwen, Here and Now

Thursday, October 22, 2009

I do not like you.. but I will use what I "don't like" to judge you

People ask me, after finding out that I am a Christian: Are you conservative or liberal? To that question, I offer a number of responses... Yet, regardless of what I say, I continue to have the same dissatisfaction. The thing is, whether conservative or liberal, members of both sides seem to be very eager to say how the other has failed to grasp the Kingdom, how the other should be excluded-- somehow... how the other needs to be more loving or more orthodox. This I find very dissatisfying. I desire to begin the hard work of changing myself and encouraging those around me to do the same-- rather than merely pointing to another as the object of my dissatisfaction. And yet, I am doing that just with these words.... Oh, the depth to which we can be moved and learn!