“My hope is that the description of God’s love in my life will give you the freedom and the courage to discover . . . God’s love in yours."
- Henri Nouwen, Here and Now

Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Post to Prompt!

Well.... as all writing has its muse... whether it be simply that gentle, short, epiphanic moment of knowing: "This is it-- This is what I have been striving all my life to attain" -- This kind of thought that stays with you for awhile and then flutters away, ever so wonderfully, ever so livingly.... So I thought it apt to include some poetry here that has nothing to do with me .. in the sense that I did not write it-- but then, as we all know, this does not really define any significant distinction of difference: As we all know, sure- I did not write these words, but they seal and shimmer for me in a way that I feel that you, the author, simply awaken a truth that I already know to be true--- within... So it is with writing... And so, as I almost started to begin to say, before I found a moment of inspiration and needed to expand upon it: I want to include some poetry here now... I did not write these words... but thanks be to God-- they do inspire me to write some of my own!

Luke
I had a dog
who loved flowers.
Briskly she went
through the fields.
yet paused for the honeysuckle
or the rose,
her dark head

and her wet nose
touching
the face
of every one

with its petals
of silk
with its fragrance,
rising

into the air,
where the bees,
their bodies
heavy with pollen,

hovered--
and easily,
she adored
every blossom,
not in the serious
careful way that we choose
this blossom or that blossom--

the way we praise or don't praise--
the way we love
or don't love--
but the way

we long to be--
that happy
in the heaven of earth-
that wild, that loving....

Mary Oliver