“My hope is that the description of God’s love in my life will give you the freedom and the courage to discover . . . God’s love in yours."
- Henri Nouwen, Here and Now

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Morning Gratitude

This morning I am wondering: What gives us the capacity to dream? Sometimes I wonder this particularly about youth. Some youth seem so closely connected to their dreams and passions, and this has always been an inspiration to me. Perhaps I have never grown up in this way. You know, I am glad to say those words.

There's been a lot of worry in the air the last year. The words the economy have been launched at us from various media platforms, and many are also feeling the effects in their own pocketbooks. Then too there is the conversation around security, and the whole dialectic of fear that has been so pervasive that scholars have gone to aims to unpack the meaning for the people.

Sometimes I am tired of the rhetoric of American politics; it is so often too two-sided. I don't think in twos. I like to think in either ones or threes. :)

I wonder why when the time comes to write, the words sometimes feel adolescent, like I am feigning for just the right phrase, and yet I haven't the ability to reach beyond abstractions and inspirational sayings.

The last few days I have been blessed, in particular, by prayer. How come what may feel like one of the most mundane activities can suddenly be full of such dramatic possibility?!?! I am grateful.