“My hope is that the description of God’s love in my life will give you the freedom and the courage to discover . . . God’s love in yours."
- Henri Nouwen, Here and Now

Friday, January 22, 2010

Morning Theological Reflection

I have been sitting in a coffee shop for the last hour or so, proofreading, thinking deeply, and working on my own thesis around reconciliation and religion and the arts. Two men in proper clothing and loud voices have continued to discuss everything from Tiger Woods to Shaq. For a moment, I felt like I belonged to a completely different world... but it wasn't filled with judgment (I hope)... just difference. I would like to to use my intellect and imagination for a truly good purpose. I hope that this wish can inspire me to continue on, even when things are difficult. Perhaps, today, one of the greatest things I am learning is to value what I bring and to let this sense of loving value sing deeply from my heart. Someone may not understand and yet, I don't truly desire to be understood as much as I hope for mere connection, to bridge divides, and to live with the resilient power and strength that comes from peace and listening to God.