“My hope is that the description of God’s love in my life will give you the freedom and the courage to discover . . . God’s love in yours."
- Henri Nouwen, Here and Now

Saturday, January 23, 2010

On Making Plans...



I just emerged from a movie at the theater, and so I am in one of those grand states where your life seems to stretch out before your eyes, and you believe that anything is truly possible. You know, I think this isn't an illusion; this should be the way we think about life most of the time. So, as I wanted to say when I suddenly felt the propulsion to write these words, I am not a movie critic professional. I cannot tell you how this film ranks with the latest Spielberg hit or if I should rate it as a classic. But, it was beautiful. It was a story about love & and making plans. The woman.. needed a plan. She learned that she did not need plans: And she finally found something and someone precious enough not to make plans! And he... he loved her enough that he wanted to make plans with her. Making plans. I've never actually been one of those 5 year planners-- I'm pretty spontaneous, especially at the soul-level.

But I do hope, I do hope... that I will be with someone who loves me enough that he is willing to make plans with me (and visa-versa). In this sense, I think that making plans is dream-making.... It's not about whether or not the plans come true-- We never know this-- But it is about loving someone enough that you hope that the plans will come true-- In fact, isn't this what planning is all about, anyway?! Amen, in this sense, to making plans. I hope you'll come find me...